FUE Hair Transplantation IN HYDERABAD, INDIA
Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE, is a method of hair transplant surgery…
Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE, is a method of hair transplant surgery where individual hair follicles from the patient’s scalp are manually removed. Extracted hairs are then implanted in bald or thinning areas around the scalp. A micromotor with punch sizes of 0.6-1.0 mm is used for extraction.
It helps in improving the hair density, volume, and distribution in bald or thinning areas of scalp, eyebrows, beard, scars etc. There are patients who require a very small number of grafts and FUE may be ideal for them.
Recovery time from Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is less than that of Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) as no large portion of donor scalp is removed so there are no sutures. Minimal postoperative pain and discomfort is felt.
Advantages of this technique to patients are the absence of a linear scar and more rapid healing of the donor region. FUE has allowed the harvest of body hair without the creation of linear scars on the chest, abdomen, back, etc. The FUE procedure allows candidates to have shorter haircuts without visible scarring.
About Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) – Procedure at FMS Skin & Hair Clinic
FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
Steps of FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
- Trimming is essential in the donor site to harvest the grafts and the team member in charge of the preparation ensures trimming the hair to 2- 3 mm all over the scalp.
- The next step is to wash the scalp.
- The donor area is marked out depending on the individual’s follicular density per square cm, the number of grafts required etc.
- Once the marking is done, local anesthesia is administered to the donor area, preferably field blocks in that area.
- The harvesting of grafts is done with the patient in a prone posture following the standard instructional care with an IV line, monitoring of the vitals, under aseptic conditions.
- Grafts are placed in a holding solution maintaining the cold temperature.
- Recipient sites are prepared to receive the grafts by making slits in the skin with Micro blades.
- Later the grafts are implanted in the recipient area with the help of implanters or forceps.
- After the Hair Transplant procedure, little heaviness, numbness or tightness may be experienced for few hours.
- Mild swelling on the forehead and around the eyes is normal.
- Post-procedure, antibiotics and analgesics are to be taken for 7 days.
- Patient needs to sleep on the back or on the sides.
- Patient should not perform any contact sports/gymming for a period of 14 days and should avoid swimming for up to 3 weeks.
- Topical Minoxidil can be applied on the transplanted site after about 15 days post-procedure
- Patients are advised to sprinkle or spray normal saline over the grafts every 2-3 hrs for 8–10 days.
Hair Regrowth after FUE Transplantation
After 11–20 days newly implanted hair will shed. Initially, the new follicles are in their dormant (sleeping) stage. There will be some lag phase before hair growth is initiated. Complete growth can be achieved between 6-9 months and hair continue to grow until 12–14 months.
As the hair follicles are fully extracted, the individual hairs technically won’t grow back. However, the surgeon makes sure to extract individual hair follicles from the denser areas of the donor site; not patches of hair. So that it is impossible to notice the removed hair follicles.
Depending on the donor area, number of grafts, and quality of scalp, surgery may take around 6-10 hours. Sometimes sessions can be extended up to 2 consecutive days.
Some of the side effects of hair transplant surgery include bleeding, swelling on the scalp and around the eyes, light Itching, crusting and infection.
The answer is yes, Hair Transplantation is permanent if done on a healthy scalp. Due to the nature of the harvested hair follicles, which are unlikely to fall out, as they are taken from the back and sides of the head.
Women also experience hair loss or thinning, and our surgeons with a minimally invasive FUE Technique, can help you achieve full & healthy hair again.
The cost of a hair transplant is highly variable and depends upon the number of grafts required, and the expertise of the surgeon. It typically ranges anywhere from between Rs 75,000 to 3 lakhs.