Hairfall and hair loss are fairly common issues, we all come across with. It can happen due to a lot of reasons ranging from genetics to nutritional deficiencies. Baldness can cause a lot of distress and loss of self-esteem. There are a variety of ways to treat it, hair transplantation being one. Being a Hair Transplant Specialist, we get asked a lot of queries regarding hair transplantation. So, we put together the most important things to know before undergoing hair transplantation.
1. Hair Transplantation is a surgical procedure that involves removing hair follicles, usually from behind the scalp, and transplanting them to the balding area. Sometimes, when area of baldness is large and follicles from back of scalp is not sufficient, hair follicles from beard, chest etc. can also be used known as body hair transplant.
2. Transplanted hair is the same as natural hair. You can style it however you want. It can be washed and colored etc. in a similar manner as natural hair.
3. Transplanted hair is more or less permanent. The hair that has been transplanted will continue to grow, probably for lifetime.
4. FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) or FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation: FUE is a technique where individual hair follicles are removed and transplanted. In FUT, strip of donor’s hair is removed and transplanted. Be sure to discuss with your doctor first the pros and cons of both the methods.
5. Preparation for hair transplantation includes consulting your hair transplant surgeon, informing your health condition including hairloss history, family history, medical history, any treatment done for hair loss, smoking and alcohol habits, any medications you are on like blood thinners, antihypertensives etc. any allergies.
A few routine blood tests are prescribed by your surgeon, which includes CBC, Bleeding time, clotting time, PT, APTT, Random blood sugar, lipid profile, LFT, RFT, HBs AG, HIV ELISA, HCV, ECG(EKG), chest X ray.
6. Day of the surgery: Please make sure you have someone to drive you back home since you will be under the influence of anaesthesia. Session can last up to 6-8 hours, which is again very dependent on the technique employed. A hospital stay is usually not required, so you can go back home on the same day.
7. Aftercare includes taking your antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications as prescribed by your doctor. The next thing is to keep your head moist by using saline spray and regular head wash to keep the scalp clean. You are allowed to sleep on your back or sides. For the next 2-3 weeks, you should avoid rigorous workout, swimming etc.
8. Medication: It is important to understand that hair loss may still occur among non-transplanted hair in the front of the head. so, efforts and treatments must be continued to maintain the overall health of the hair.
9. The results of a transplant are not instant. The newly transplanted hair will fall off, and hair will regrow in that place. So this will take some time. Which may take roughly 10 to 12 months for the final results to be visible.
Though the hair transplantation technique is advanced and gives great results, the success largely depends on the operating surgeon and the team. The Hair Transplantation team at FMS SKIN AND HAIR CLINICS is well trained and experienced in the procedure.
Consult FMS Skin & Hair Clinics, Best Hair Transplant Clinic in Hyderabad