Glutathione, the MASTER ANTI-OXIDANT. Right. You heard it correctly!
Glutathione is found in almost every single cell with the same concentration in the body. It is produced by Liver cells and its main function is detoxification i.e., removal of harmful molecules from the body. It also helps in enhancing immunity. Recent hype of glutathione is because of 2 main features i.e., Skin whitening and Anti-aging.
How Does Glutathione Work?
Sunrays, pollution, stress, chemicals, poor nutrition, etc., make our body produce free radicals which are harmful to the body. The free radicals damage the cells causing chronic illness and aging. Anti-oxidants prevent free radical damage by scavenging them. Glutathione helps in detoxification by removing these free radicals, hence also used as skin whitening and anti-aging.
What are the factors which influence Glutathione?
There are many factors that increase/ decrease the levels of glutathione—
1. Environmental Factor – UV rays, Pollution, stress, etc increase free radicals
2. Circadian rhythm – peak level is noticed at midnight. High values are present 4-6 hours after meals.
3. Age – Older people and people having chronic conditions like diabetes, COPD, Asthma, etc have decreased levels of glutathione.
4. Lifestyle – smoking, alcohol, obesity, tobacco produce increased free radicals. Exercise and weight training increase levels of glutathione.
5. Diet – Increased levels of glutathione is found in fresh fruits (Apples, Bananas, Oranges & Watermelons), fresh vegetables (Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, Cauliflower etc), and Meat.
What are the Benefits of Glutathione?
1. Decreases cell damage by combatting with free radicals
2. Decreases incidence of chronic conditions like diabetes, arthritis, cancer, etc., and also helps in fighting against autoimmune conditions.
3. Improves insulin resistance
4. Increased production by other anti-oxidants like vitamin-C, vitamin-E, NAC, Curcumin, etc.
What are the possible side-effects of Glutathione?
Glutathione when taken orally, can cause abdominal cramps, bloating, allergy, etc. When taken for a long term, it is associated with a decrease in zinc level and also causes toxicity to the liver. When given via the parenteral route, it can cause redness, itching, and irritation at the injection site.
Consult FMS Skin & Hair Clinics. Best Skin Clinic in Hyderabad For Advanced Skin Treatments.
To Book Appointment. Please call us or WhatsApp at 8885060760 Or Email Us at conta[email protected]
Author: Dr. Swath